booting linux from usb device

General forum to discuss all aspects of problems with computers hardware and software. Operating systems (linux, windows), security, storage, data recovery, databases.
Netrapal

booting linux from usb device

Post by Netrapal »

How to boot fedora Linux from a usb connected to my laptop.? Is this same as running Linux from hard drive?
deepak.dhiman55

Re: booting linux from usb device

Post by deepak.dhiman55 »

Hello Netrapal,
if you wanna boot from USB THen first you have to change the "BOOT Priority Setting" Which CAN Be found in Motherborad BIOS Setting...You can follow these steps
1. First Restart Your System And Then As the system starts you have to press "F2 Or DEL" THese Are The most Common BIOS Setup Keys...
2. Now A MENU Will Be appears with all the system information..
3. Now By Using Arrow Keys just Go To The BOOT Setting Tab And Change THe Boot Priority by using + and - Key FRom keyboard..
4. as the USB Comes to first place Don`t forget to save the setting by Press F10 From Keyboard And Press YES...
Hope this info will help you to boot from USB Unless USB has BOOTING File inside.....
Netrapal

Post by Netrapal »

Thanks Deepak for the info. I have downloaded fedora Linux image. Now, How to create a bootable pendrive with Linux?
deepak.dhiman55

Hi Netrapal,
"Linux Live USB Creator" Is THe Software Which can Turn .ISO Image To Bootable USB.....AS You mentioned you have already downloaded Image Of "Fedora Electronics Lab"(Linux)...And Now You wanna Make A Bootable USB...Actually I`m also Facing the Same Problem,,I mean Even I`m Not Able to Make Usb BOOTABLE By "Linux Live USB Creator" Which iz well Know Tool For Making USB Bootable...Earlier I Had made Bootable USB For "Ubuntu-13.10(Linux)" By using the same Software..But Now It`s Giving Some Error Regarding the Unsupported Version of Fedora Linux ....so that`s why even I Used THis "FEL" Tool BY Burning .ISO Image In DVD...And One thing i did the wrong ,, actually i downloaded the 64 Bit "Fedora Electronics Lab(FEL)"..THis 64 Bit Version Is not suited My Pc`s...Hope You Have Downloaded 32-Bit FEL...AS i`ll get some clue about USB maker which support "FEL" Flavor i`ll share/post that here...
Netrapal

Post by Netrapal »

I have Fedora Linux image. What is this FEL? is it a variant of Fedora.? How it different from normal Fedora Linux?
deepak.dhiman55

Hi,
Actually FEL Is Short Form Of "Fedora Elecronics Lab "...AND "Fedora" And "Fedora Electronics Lab" Is Bit Different but developed by same community of Programmers...But If you Look at the size of Both Flavor
>>> Fedora 20 Has 953 Mb,
>>> Fedora Electronics Lab(FEL) Has 2.3 GB
Now as you know FEL Contains MAGIC(Spice Tool),TINA And Many Elecronics industry Softwares.so automatically it`s size is quite higher than the Fedora 20.